Position title: Research Scientist
Location: Remote or Calgary office
Salary range: Competitive salary plus benefits, incentives, and options
Position type: Full-time & permanent
Schedule: Flexible, with expected availability during regular office hours unless calendar blocked off
Reporting: Report to Director of R&D.
Our mission is to collaborate, innovate, and educate our way to a world with effective and affordable emissions management solutions. We believe that working alongside proactive energy companies to understand and lower carbon emissions is key to achieving meaningful and permanent change.
Our team works on the cutting edge of decarbonizing the world’s energy systems. Launched in September 2020, we are a new and dynamic company with massive potential. We pride ourselves on having a strong culture of respect, fun, continuous learning, and hard work. Working at Highwood is not easy – but it can be incredibly rewarding. Join us as we endeavour to overcome some of the world’s biggest challenges and help mitigate the impacts of climate change. Highwood Emissions Management (Highwood) is an equal opportunity employer working to enable diversity in the workforce. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We also value diversity of worldview, experience, and perspective.
Emissions management is a growing field that requires highly technical yet scalable solutions to understanding emissions, making plans, and tracking progress towards reduction targets. Recent advancements in measurement technologies have transformed our understanding of oil and gas sector emissions. Oil and gas companies are accumulating large amounts of emissions data, but lack solutions to make this data actionable. Highwood is supporting initiatives and developing in-house software solutions to organize measurement data and “reconcile” it with traditional inventories.
As a Research Scientist, your mission is to support the technical delivery of Highwood software products. Especially those leveraging data from novel measurement technologies. This includes engineering and data-science work related to Highwood’s emissions management software and related consulting projects (e.g., GTI Veritas, MiQ, and work supporting clients on OGMP 2.0).
What is expected:
- Help lead the technical development of the measurement and reconciliation module in Highwood’s Emissions Management Toolkit (EMT).
- Analyze and communicate key insights from large emissions datasets. This includes government emissions inventories and other public datasets.
- Review and understand the engineering calculations underlying emissions inventories.
- Become an expert in oil and gas voluntary emissions initiatives. This includes emissions commitments, certifications, and protocols like MiQ, OGMP 2.0, and GTI Veritas.
- Become an expert in the rapidly growing sector of alternative methane measurement and detection technologies.
- Provide technical support for consulting related to measurement and reconciliation as needed.
At Highwood, we are committed to the physical and mental health of our employees and of their families. Here are some of the reasons why our employees love it here:
- Our benefits package is among the best. Each year it includes $1,500 in dental coverage and more for prescription drugs, vision, massage, physiotherapy, psychotherapy, and much more.
- Our benefits package includes your spouse and all children.
- We offer $5,000/year to help cover non-essential educational pursuits of your choice.
- We have an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) – and you don’t need to pay to be a partial owner of Highwood – and share in the success we achieve.
- We encourage employees to take breaks – especially vacation.
- If that’s not enough – our core value is ‘People First’. Check out our Team Promise below.
- Finally, you get to work with the brightest and friendliest colleagues in the business!
Here are some of the things we’re looking for. Note that we don’t expect you to have all of these qualifications, experiences, and/or skills. We often choose to train someone with the right attitude over hiring the wrong person with the right skills.
- Masters or Bachelors degree in an engineering or science-related field
- Proficient in Python and/or Matlab
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Driven to work hard and make a difference in a role that will have a direct impact on emissions reductions
- Ability to manage time and projects effectively with competing priorities
- Collaborative, professional, positive attitude, and attention to detail
- Familiarity with the oil and gas industry and/or emissions management (fugitive or otherwise)
Highwood’s promise to staff and contractors is to:
- Treat you with respect, fairness, and honesty.
- Give you a voice. We will encourage you to question the way we do things, and we will empower you to speak your mind.
- Understand your goals, insomuch as you are willing to share, and work to help you achieve them.
- Support your growth, promote you, and provide opportunities to expand your network and foster your professional identity.
- Appreciate, recognize, and reward your contributions and wins.
- Make time to have fun and celebrate success.
- Foster an environment that encourages you to share your concerns, no matter how small they might seem.
Your promise to Highwood is to:
- Treat others with respect, value their contributions, and lift them up, even when they fail. You never know how others might be struggling.
- Be patient with yourself. We work on unsolved challenges. We expect mistakes and see them as learning opportunities.
- Strive to continually learn and grow professionally and personally, regardless of where you started and where you might end up.
- Embrace innovation and change – there is no destination.
- Do your best – only you know what this means. Set boundaries and respect them. Take a break when you need it.
Please submit a single pdf including your Resume/CV and cover letter by email to [email protected]. The document naming convention should follow the format: LastName_FirstName_research_scientist.pdf
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.